Following them Cryptos
Near the end of 2020 Bitcoin experienced a surge and if I was not very interested about crypto before, I got acquainted with it very quickly. It is fascinating the gold rush cryptocurrencies are experiencing in this very same moment, awash with people trying to become rich overnight.
I already had plenty of acquaintances getting into crytpo and even a couple close friends working in blockchain-related projects, but it really never got ahold of me. Either ways I thought I'd just read as much as I could about the fundamentals and like any other basic investment put a negligible amount of money every month and take advantage of dollar-cost averaging.
To help me keep track of what I put on crypto every month and track the performance I scrapped together a simple Notion template to introduce the amount of each currency I buy every month, it looks like this with some fake figures I put to illustrate it better.
The Crypto invested in a given year:
This picture is easy to understand, each row corresponds to a month of the year and each column accounts for the amount of the currencies I chose to put money on that month. Since I am not trading coins 24/7 I don't complicate myself.
- The column Total invested is the sum of all the money put into the different coins.
- The column Related Month Returns points to the another table with the calculated monthly returns, let's see it:
The crypto returns per month in a given year:
- Each row represents a calendar month.
- Related Month is a relationship column that points to the previous month. This is used to calculate the % PNL difference between two consecutive months.
- Name is the month's name.
- Total Amount Invested: represents the total amount invested in cryptocurrencies, however distribution you've chosen. It is read from the Crypto Invested as a rollup property
- Total Portfolio Value: the total estimated value in fiat of your portfolio, by default I have it in EUR. This is a field that must be set manually, and if you have multiple wallets in multiple exchanges can be a bit cumbersome. I intend to automate it eventually at least for Binance basing myself in the this article: https://dev.to/tnvmadhav/crypto-profits-tracker-feat-notion-api-5a80.
- Related Previous Total Portfolio Value: It is a rollup property based on the Related Month relationship column. It points to the Total Portfolio Value column of the previous month.
- PNL: It is a formula to calculate the rounded % profit/loss of the current month as compared to the previous one. This is the formatted formula:
round( divide( abs( subtract( toNumber(prop("Total Portfolio Value")), toNumber(prop("Related Previous Current Market Value"))) ), divide( add( toNumber(prop("Total Portfolio Value")), toNumber(prop("Related Previous Current Market Value"))), 2) ) * 100 ) / 100
Important to know that when there is no valid data to read the PNL will mark a spurious number (200%) until it's filled. Additionally, the PNL formula gives the absolute percentage difference between to amounts but won't show the sign of the difference (+/-).
This is my quick & dirty way of counting all those movements.
#learning #crypto- 1 toast